Nikon D90 and Canon DSLR Price Drop

After having my first DSLR — the Nikon D40x — for almost 2 years, I got myself a Nikon D90 in late November 2009. Priced at RM4050, it was my biggest investment in this money sucking hobby. Having said that, I believe the Nikon D90 body will serve me well for many years to come.

If you have always wanted to buy a DSLR or upgrade to a better body, now is probably a good time to do so. I received a promo newsletter from ShaShinKi stating that there is a price reduction for the Nikon D90 and Canon EOS 500D models.

ShaShinKi is now selling the Nikon D90 kit (18-105mm lens, 4GB SD card and bag) for only RM3495. That is a price reduction of more RM500 compared to the price I paid previously at another shop. You may want to check out other stores for the best bargain.

A newer model may be introduced soon to replace these models, which explains the price drop. It may also be due to price war between the two. Either way, the choice to buy now or wait is yours.

Updated 17/04/2010:

I just read on Gizmodo that there may be 3 new DSLR models released by Nikon very soon. One of them could very well be a D90 replacement.

13 thoughts on “Nikon D90 and Canon DSLR Price Drop

matjoe: I believe the price reduction should be a nationwide thing. It’s best to check out some stores for the best price though, as it could be lower than the one quoted above.

2. joe says:

hi..yea..i also heard some rumours about this..they said that maybe there will be nikon d90x..not sure bout that..i’m planning to buy nikon d90 since the price is drop..do u think that nikon will stop the production of nikon d90 after a new replacement is come out??

I’m not sure but if it’s a replacement, I think they may stop the D90′s production. The next question would be when will the new model be announced? And then, when can you start buying it from stores? That may be months from now. If you think the D90 is good enough and consider the price to be “okay”, then just get it now. Else, wait.

4. princefendie says:

saya br saje beli d90…dengan harga rm3450…
    this is my 1st dslr………i love it so much….

5. widhi eko says:

Hello :)
    i think your blog is good. i found it Google. and your review about camera eos is very detail. i think i will come back someday.
    thanks for the information :)

6. Vennee says:

Hi.. I never buy a DSLR so i need some advice on this and my budget also my budget is limited.. TQ

7. FeliciaCorrine says:

The camera prices are going down nowadays as the demand for these gadgets are also diminishing. We now have the trendy and fashionable Smart phones, IPhones which come with high quality built in camera and wider screens. So where is the need for a camera device when the mobile allow multitasking!!!!