How To Open .ppsx File In PowerPoint 2003

I received a .ppsx file last night from a friend. I recognize a .pps file as a PowerPoint file but have never seen a .ppsx file before. I had a feeling that it was a PowerPoint file so I proceeded to open it with my Microsoft PowerPoint 2003. I was smacked with the error message below instead.

PowerPoint can’t read the outline from [file_name].ppsx. No text converter is installed for this file type.

The error occurred because .ppsx files are created using PowerPoint 2007. Unfortunately, the file is not backward compatible. You will either need to ask your friend to re-save it so that it is usable for the 2003 version, or you can try out the hack below.

After searching around I found this tip on how to open a .ppsx file using PowerPoint 2003. All you need to do is to download the Microsoft Office Compatibility Pack for Word, Excel, and PowerPoint. [download here]

You might need to install all high priority Windows Updates for this to work.

After installing the software, right click on the .ppsx file that you want to open. Select Open With and then Microsoft Open XML Converter.

How To Open .ppsx file in PowerPoint 2003

You should be able to open your file now.

55 thoughts on “How To Open .ppsx File In PowerPoint 2003

1. kew says:

Yea, this is the new file extension from Office 2007. Its in XML format, and the file size is very much smaller. for me, it is the right move as it helps to keep the file size small and easier to port to other applications (since it is in XML and all). Also, I believe this is the future, Office Live, you may not need to install office applications anymore, with Office live, you can create your PPT online, and this xml file format is just to facilitate that.

@ipohchai
    LOL. Well, it depends really. It is definitely not backward compatible, unless you install the above compatible plugin. On the other hand, when things are all XML based, you can port from one program to another easily.

@kew
    That is true. Web based tools should be very useful. I will be looking forward for that. Thanks for your info.

3. Irfan says:

Thank you very much for providing me the solution to open the ppsx file. I just downloaded the software as per above suggestions and could easily open the file to complete my assignment.
    Thanks again.

4. kiwi says:

Thanks, I followed the instructions and it was easy and I got to check out the powepoint…thanks for the help.

5. Noman Muzaffar says:

Nice to see that someone is here to help us in this difficult problem. I am very much thankul for the writer of this article and appreciate it.

6. cholo says:

can anyone help?
    i need to edit this file in ppsx
    in a powerpoint 2003.
    whenever i try to use the converter
    it just opens the file as a presentation

7. Steven says:

This is one of the most helpful pieces of information I’ve come across. Worked as advertised. Thank you.

8. jack says:

hi.. man, thank u very much.. its very help me, i hope god will give u even more for ur kindness 🙂

9. Mike says:

Before I had the converter I found you can also ‘drag and drop’ the .ppsx file into an empty Powerpoint window. Mine opened as a work in progress and I then saved it as a standard .ppt file.

10. German Ulloa says:

If you are not using Micorosft products, you can download the OpenOffice Suite, which is 100% FREE and does a lot more than MS Office. Get it for F R E E (no strings attached) at:

.ppsx files can be opened with the Presentation app, choosing Microsoft Powerpoint 2007 XML filter.. thats simple. I always save the PPT as standard presentation.. very cool!

OpenOffice has more than a hundred filters (the equivalent would be OPEN AS in Win), so you are completely OK using OpenOffice.

I used version 3.0 on April 18th 2010. This version includes Calc, Write, Presentation, Base, and Draw applications. The computer was an old Averatec 3500 with Windows Tablet… it run perfectly the file and OpenOffice. Later I will do a try on my 2010 Mac Pro…. just to let you know!

11. John says:

Thanks a lot my assignment was due tommorow but my friend accidentally saved it as ppsx so i hurried looked and found this site thanks a lot!

12. powerpointtovideo says:

special thanks to this informative tutorial and powerful tool! it is really easy to use and I will recommend it to my friends! Thanks again! This conversion tool is really powerful! I’ll give it a try!

13. swaty says:

14. dvdtoipadmac says:

Thanks for sharing such a profound and informative article, I’m really savoring it. I actually had a couple of questions in relation to your post though. Do you think it will be feasible for me to make contact with you further to discuss it? Maybe setup a chat on e mail or an instant messaging application? If not, cheers anyhow and I’ll continue to read and comment.

15. cdmagfox says:

At first I was confused with the suffix .ppsx but just went ahead and double-clicked the file and it opened normally and played using PowerPoint 2008 for Mac. I even deleted the “x” making the suffix .pps and the resulting file also opened and played with no problem.

16. PDF to ePub converter says: