How To Minimize Windows Media Player To Taskbar

I have seen my friends minimizing windows media player to run in the taskbar. Before that, I didn’t know how it was done. I looked through the options menu franticly for a way to do it. I gave up after a while thinking that it must have been a feature on a newer version of the software.

Then I realize how simple it was. To run windows media player in your taskbar, you will need to follow the steps below. This is how it looks like at first, when you minimize it before doing any changes.

Original windows media player minimized to taskbar

Right click on the taskbar, select Toolbars and then Windows Media Player.

Change toolbar setting

That is it. Minimize your windows media player now and you will see the player running in your taskbar as shown in the image below.

Windows media player running in taskbar

Enjoy your music :-)

64 thoughts on “How To Minimize Windows Media Player To Taskbar

1. Kameer says:

Thank You. You have no idea how long i was looking for that “option”!
    That is such a weird way of achieving this. . In winamp, its so easy to find.

2. Darren says:

Thank you so much. I’ve spent hours looking for the way to do this. Ive come to my computer thinking I’ll succeed but every time I fail miserably. Thank you!!

3. RED says:

seriously what was microsoft thinking by giving this option in the windows taskbar instead of in the media player itself, I have spent hrs searching everywhere in the media player to remove the media player playing in the task bar….

4. Jared says:

If there is no option for it you may not have the right version of Windows Media Player; get the latest.

5. Nitu says:

I was also looking for the option.
    I searched and saw ur blog. Thanks for sharing it worked for me.

6. giorgos says:

dude i know that option but i have another problem after the windows instalation everything is good and now when i select that option (toolbarts –wmp) it just makes space in the task bar for wmp but it still stays minimized to the left side what should i do ???

@karthi: You may be using an old version of Windows Media Player that doesn’t support this feature. Try upgrading to the latest version.

@giorgos: I did a search and found others successfully solving your problem simply by reinstalling the WMP. Not sure if this works but you sure can try it out. If it doesn’t, try getting the latest version.

8. Desiree says:

It works fine!

I use Windows Media Player 11 on XP and I haven’t got any problems with it!
    So try to update your Mediaplayer if it doesn’t work!

Great job TenthOfMarch :D !

9. phillip hall says:

had to rewipe my computer then couldnt remember how to get the media player to be on your task bar dun my head right in thanks for the help

10. Tkima1 says:

Thank you!!! Finally!

I had the opposite problem! How to get rid of it! I did NOT want it to minimize to taskbar!! :P

Yours Sincerely
    Tkima1 :)

11. Cheryl says:

I just had Windows XP reloaded on my computer and am so frustrated with trying to get everything back the way it was so thanks for this tip!!

12. Roshia says:

Hey. I used to have Windows XP and discovered this on my own and loved it. Then my XP crashed and I got a Windows 7. Everything is all good except when I go to add WMP onto the toolbar, it doesn’t allow that feature. I have the most recent WMP and yet it will not let me. Is it just because I have Windows 7? I’ve tried manually making the toolbar but it will not do it at all, it only opens the folder and is retarded. Do you have an answer to this?

13. Charity says:

I used to have this option on my old laptop in college and for the life of me couldn’t remember how I did it when I got the new one. It’s been 3 years clickin around Media Player and I finally just Googled it. Thanks for putting it out there!

14. bethlizzy says:

thanks a bunch hey! I’d done this before a while back and then couldn’t remember how to on a new computer.

15. Claudia says:

Thank you!!! I also gave up and then I found this website!!
    It was so easy! Thank you thank you!!