Check out this latest Celcom Broadband promotion:
Celcom Broadband + Compaq Notebook + Modem Only RM159 A Month
Celcom Broadband was launched early this month. It promises true mobility and lightning speed internet access to its users whether they are surfing from home or outdoors.
Plan and rates:
There are 3 plans available. You can choose to subscribe at RM8 for 24 hours unlimited, RM68 for a monthly unlimited access, or pay-per-use at 10 cents per 10kb. The chart below shows a comparison of Celcom’s rate compared to its rival.
How to subscribe?
Existing Celcom subscribers:
- Daily Unlimited – Register via SMS or dial *118#
- Monthly Unlimited – Register at any Celcom Service Centre or selected dealer
- Register at the nearest Celcom Service Centre.
What you need?
Laptop or notebook users require a:
- USB modem
- Datacard, or
- A GPRS and/or 3G enabled mobile phone
What is the catch?
#1: The advertised 384kbps speed can only be “obtained” if your phone supports 3G and you are in an area that is covered by the Celcom broadband service.
#2: If your phone does not support 3G or you are not in the service area, you are running on their GPRS service which provides a bandwidth of 60-70kbps only. That is just slightly faster than a dialup connection.
Note: Bandwidth figures and other information were obtained from Celcom’s call center.
1) You will need to have a 3G sim card in order to get the 384kbps bandwidth. Or else, it will only be 112kbps max.
2) The 3GX that offers you up to 3.6mbps is open for invitations only. You will receive an SMS if you are the lucky one. Even then, you will need to be within the coverage area.
3) The USB modem (Huawei E220) is sold at RM900+ to RM1,200+. You will need to look around to get a good deal on this. My friend bought it for RM1,100 last week.