How To Schedule WordPress Posts To Publish In The Future

I’ve come across a few bloggers mentioning that they scheduled their posts to be automatically published by WordPress in a future date. After going through my WordPress menu without finding a “schedule future post” option, I searched for it at Google and found two articles that helped:

To write a post and have WordPress publish it in a future date, all you need to do is to edit the “Post Timestamp” option before publishing the post as shown in the screenshot below.

Edit post timestamp to schedule future post

Right after completing your post, look for the “Post Timestamp” option on the right. Check/select the “Edit timestamp” checkbox. Select the future date and time you want the post to be published. After that is done, click on the “Publish” button like how you would normally publish a post.

I’ve scheduled this post to be automatically published at 25/6/2007 at 2:00pm. I’m publishing this 2 and a half hours earlier. If everything works accordingly, this post will only be visible at the scheduled time.

12 thoughts on “How To Schedule WordPress Posts To Publish In The Future

1. hanneng says:

very often, I used this option to schedule my posts.

why?

1) I will prepare my post at midnight, but I want my post to show up in the morning, between 8:30 t0 10am, so that the post will be listed in the first page of ping services, when everyone searching for gossip or news in the morning.

2) when I taking part in Saturday photo hunters

3) When I have too many ideas in a single day, so save some goodies for next day..

2. Azmeen says:

One thing you have to be careful about when using this and other cron-related functions in WP is to make sure that the server time and your local time is synchronised properly. You can do this under your WP Dashboard – Options – General.

Let’s say your server is in the UK and you’re in Malaysia, and you didn’t set the timezone offset in your WP settings. If you set your post to be published at 5:00pm on June 20th, it’ll actually be published at 1:00am on June 21st Malaysian time!

3. hanneng says:

azmeen,
    you’re right.
    For us in Malaysia and Singapore, the “Times in the weblog should differ by:” should be “8″.

@hanneng
    Thanks for the tips. So far I’ve never used this feature before. I’ve only found out how to do it recently. I’ll follow your tips on how to use it effectively.

@Azmeen
    Thanks for the info. When I first started blogging, I noticed the timestamp on the comments are off by 8 hours. I adjusted the timezone offset and it’s fixed. Thanks again.

@hanneng
    That’s a good way to use it. I’ll see what I can do with this feature. If I can think of something to start off, it could be fun. Thanks again.

My server was down the other day. My previous replies were lost. So, I’m replying to the comments again.

@endroo G
    That is a really creative way to play with the plugin. It does raise curiosity in the readers and make them come back for more. One of the ways to use it is when there is a “series” of posts lined up. Thanks for the plugin.