Possible Solution To Nuffnang’s Occasional Slow Loading Banner Ads

Before I begin, I would like to make it clear that this is not an official solution to the given problem. It has its pros and cons. It should not affect the banner click counts but it might, depending on how Nuffnang’s system identifies the clicks.

However, the biggest question is whether these modified codes adhere to the terms and condition and the program policies set by Nuffnang. I made a mistake by not reading through their rules before attempting such modifications. I’ve read it now and noticed that there are possibly at least two mentioning against such modification. They are:

6. Abuse of Services You shall not and shall not authorize or encourage any third party to:
* Edit, modify, filter or change the order of the information contained in any Ad or remove, obscure or minimize any Ad

and

Code Modification

The Nuffnang ad code that we provide you must be pasted directly into Web pages without any modification. Nuffnang participants are not allowed to alter any portion of the ad code or change the layout, behavior, targeting, or delivery of ads for any reason.

We will need to have the guys from Nuffnang to take a look at these modifications and give us the green light before we do it. Therefore, refrain yourself from trying it out first. I have reverted the changes made over at my personal blog as well. If you decide to use these modified codes, you need to agree to the terms below:

1. Obey the terms of use set by the owner of the codes here.
  2. Obey the terms and conditions and program policies set by Nuffnang.
  3. Don’t flame me if it affects your earnings or get you banned by Nuffnang. ;-)

**********

The codes used are from this example. The idea is to wrap Nuffnang’s banner into the iframe in the example. That way, Nuffnang’s banner is allowed to load in the background while the rest of the blog is loaded. However, the downside of this script is that the banner will only be displayed after the rest of the blog has finish loading.

Step 1:
Copy and paste this javascript into the head of your HTML (right before the </head> is located)

Step 2:
Create the file “NN.html” that can be accessed from the root of your blog (eg. http://www.chankelwin.com/NN.html). The content of this file is the javascript for the banner ad that was given by Nuffnang. This is how my file looks like. You will need to paste your codes into the file.

Step 3:
Place this iframe code to the location where you want your Nuffnang banner to appear. Remember to change the src=”http://www.chankelwin.com/NN.html” to the location where your NN.html file is located (as in Step 2).

**********

That’s it! I do not know if these modifications will affect anything. I don’t even know if they will affect how the websites load when users click on the banner. Therefore, remember to wait for the “green light” from Nuffnang before using these modified codes. I do not hold responsibility if you get booted from their system.

Since I have reverted my changes to the original codes, I will show you how the modified codes would work in the video below.

16 thoughts on “Possible Solution To Nuffnang’s Occasional Slow Loading Banner Ads

@Ah Pek
    Hehe. When I said I wasn’t sure if it does affect anything, I meant that I wasn’t sure if it affects things negatively.

With the modified codes, if Nuffnang’s server is having massive traffic and is slow, it will no longer slow down the loading time of your blog because the ads are loaded in the background.

@Jason
    Thanks.

2. Freethinker says:

Hmmm…I still have “that” problem this morning… anyway…patiently waiting for your “dish”… I am waiting to tambah salt and pepper…

3. kuanhoong says:

I gave up on Nuffnang. It is slow and it is not even showing advertisement on my blog. I will try again when they have a better system.

@Mossie`Ol Chin
    Actually, Nuffnang and adsense are using iframes. However, it’s because how Nuffnang designed their banners to work and coded the iframes that diminishes the advantages of using an iframe. Technically speaking, only their skyscraper ads will encounter this problem. However, it looks like they used the same method to code for the large rectangle and leaderboard ads as well.

My modified codes (if legal) can be used as a temporary solution. However, not everyone likes to idea of having to do the work themselves. Therefore, Nuffnang needs to rethink how their banners should work. I personally think that the skyscraper should stick to one ad compared to their initial plan of allowing up to 3 ads to fill it up.

Fix the height and width for all the banners — that way the iframe can be created before hand thus it will not affect the loading time of blogs. Or else, implement the codes provided by dynamicdrive to allow the iframes to be scaled dynamically.

@stupe
    I’ve checked that blogspot does allow its user to edit the html file. Therefore it should work. However, if what pikey said is true and that the “NN.html” file cannot be created, another method to insert the Nuffnang scripts is needed.

@Freethinker
    Yeah, I notice it as well. I’ll notify “him” later.

@pikey
    I didn’t know that. Is there a way to upload a html file? I haven’t been using blogspot long enough to know.

@kuanhoong
    If you mean “when they have a better system” compared to Advertlets, I believe Nuffnang does have a better system and management. Comparing how both companies developed their system and manage the cheques, to me at least, Nuffnang has outperformed Advertlets. Having said that, everyone has their own opinion.

5. Mossie`Ol Chin says:

10/3, when i said about adsense, i am pointing to how last time people used to contain the whole adsense code in another file, show with iFrame. and u guess it, at that standalone file people put some invisible text that has connections to super high paying keywords… that’s what i meant when it comes to contextual for adsense

@Mossie`Ol Chin
    Oh, people used to do that with adsense? Things that people do to get the extra money. I’m sure google must have banned it or something. I’m not sure if my modified codes will affect their tracking system. I hope it doesn’t but I have no way to check. If they can confirm that it doesn’t, we can start implementing it while they search for a better solution.

7. Mossie`Ol Chin says:

10/3, that’s not a tip to earn from the big G ler, it’s “WHAT NOT TO DO”… hahaha… anyway, ads placement, SEO optimization (more traffic, same CTR, do the maths) etc etc. i not exactly that fluent in it as those big gurus like LiewCF, Hongkiat etc. though. ask them for advice.

8. Pingback: PingDom - Untuk pemilik laman web!