3 Steps To Restore A Broadband (Streamyx) Connection

If you live in Malaysia, you would have probably experienced or at least heard of the poor quality of broadband services (Streamyx) in Malaysia. Just do a quick search with technorati and petalingstreet reveals countless complaints about the poor quality of broadband service it serves.

This point is further strengthened with a website created dedicated to expose the lousy services that Streamyx provides. I found a blog post published by someone living in Australia who doesn’t use Streamyx but knows that Streamyx sucks. He compared his 56kb/s connection to the 512kb/s broadband Streamyx serves and claims that his 56kb/s doesn’t lag compared to Streamyx’s.

I’m fortunate enough to live in an area where my Streamyx connection isn’t perfect, but it isn’t as bad as some claims they have. However, there are times when my connection drops or becomes unstable as well. Whenever that happens, there is a “routine” that I perform to restore the connection. I have been doing it for some time now. Therefore I believe it “should work”.

I even tested the same “routine” when I was having problems with the Streamyx connection when I was in PJ some time ago. Happy to say that it worked there as well. So, fingers crossed, I hope it works for you as well. This “routine” should work, provided that the Streamyx connection in your area is not “borned” crappy — if you know what I mean. Here goes:

**********

Step 1: Ping your default gateway infinitely

Firstly, you will need to find out what your “Default Gateway” is. To find this out, start up command prompt. (Start –> All Programs –> Accessories –> Command Prompt) Type “ipconfig” and hit the <enter> key. From the screenshot below, my default gateway is set to 192.168.0.1. Write down *your* default gateway.

Displaying default gateway

Now that you have your default gateway, you can start to ping it. Type “ping <your default gateway> -t” and hit the <enter> key.

Ping the default gateway

To cancel the ping, press the “Ctrl key” and “C” together (Ctrl + C) or just click on the “X” on the top right of the window. You should try pinging your default gateway for 1 to 2 minutes. Sometimes, my connection will be restored with this process. However, if you have been pinging your default gateway for more than 5 minutes but your connection is still dead, move on to the next step.

Step 2: Disable your Local Area Network and restarting it

This step works best when you have other computers connected to the router that are still able to surf the Internet but only yours are not able to. Firstly, you will need to open up your “Network Connections” folder. You can do this by going to (Start –> Control Panels) and selecting “Network Connections“. An alternative way will be to “Right-Click” on the “Local Area Connection” icon on the taskbar, and selecting “Open Network Connections“.

Opening up Network Connections

You can then disable it by following the next process. “Right-Click” on the “Local Area Connection” icon and select “Disable“.

Disabling the Local Area Connection

Wait for 30-60 seconds or more. Enable it back by “Right-click” on the “Local Area Connection” and selecting “Enable“.

Enabling the Local Area Connection

You will need to wait for another 30 to 60 seconds or so before your connection will be ready. If nothing happens, give it a little “boost” by repeating Step 1.

Step 3: Restarting your ADSL modem

If the 2 steps above failed, your last hope is to restart the ADSL modem. Below is a picture of how my ADSL modem looks like when it is “connected to the Internet” and on “standby”. Whenever the connection to the Internet drops, the LED on the top that shows “LINK” will be blinking. If that happens, I know it’s time to restart the ADSL modem. Since different ADSL modem “behaves” differently, you’ll need to observe your own ADSL modem to see how yours works.

ADSL modem status

What you need to do is to switch off the ADSL modem. Let it stay that way for 30 to 60 seconds or more. Switch it back on right after that. You might need to wait a while before the connection goes back online. If nothing happens, give it a little “boost” by repeating Step 1.

So far, I’m happy to say that my connection will always be restored after going through step 1 to 3. I hope it works for you as well.

Step 4: (Bonus) Streamyx Customer Service

Heck, if all the steps given above doesn’t work, there is always the “Streamyx Customer Service” team. ;-) I’m not too sure if this step works but you may give it a try. LOL. I found an audio file that I heard sometime ago about a conversation between a Streamyx customer and their customer service. It is a little funny, yet disturbing. Proceed with caution.

TMNet User VS Customer Service

26 thoughts on “3 Steps To Restore A Broadband (Streamyx) Connection

Step 1 looks like you are just pinging your modem/router since the address range “192.168.0.x” is used for internal networks. And it works for you? That’s interesting. :)

@mooiness
    Yes. I’m actually just pinging my router (or modem) in Step 1. I’m not sure what’s happening but at times it does work. It’s like the router was “sleeping” and needed a “slap” or something.

3. Eric says:

This is what I actually will do normally facing streamyx down problem. Sometimes the connection fail might not streamyx down, it is actually your computer itself. I remembered last time my connection suddenly cut off, after I restart the moderm then it work fine after that. :) Lucily didn’t call streamyx helpline, otherwise very sharmful leh! right? haha!

@Eric
    Yeah, it should work if your connection is quite stable but have some problems once in a while. I’m not sure if it will be a big help for those with serious connection problems though.

5. Jase Lee says:

Oh how I loath them these days. Every night it disconnect and they couldn’t even fix it after 6 months. And the worst part is that their engineer is clueless on what’s going on. Too bad there are no other nearby broadband service at my place.

6. Pingback: Streamyx Finally Providing Faster Broadband Connection? | TenthOfMarch.com

@sasha
    Is your streamyx connection stable most of the time? If it’s not, this trick may not help much. Try repeating the steps again or switch off your modem for a minute and try again.

8. chiong says:

Sometimes the connection doesn’t work it’s because of the IP stack corruption. This will reset it at the command line :

netsh int ip reset c:\resetlog.txt

The TCP/IP component in XP is considered a core component and no one can uninstall and reinstall it. If the files are corrupted then you have a major headache on hand. This is the same with their MDAC. How come the more microsoft tries to help the worst it gets 8-)….it somehow created a very lucrative perpetual dependence syndrome that all of us couldn’t have enough of.

If you do an analysis of streamyx package using the component from this site :

You will see where the lag is coming from. The DNS lookup sometimes take forever. when I switched it to a foreign DNS lookup that’s free it is even faster. It is like it is faster to go to singapore to pick up a malaysian phone book then to go to the telecome shop next door. TMNet’s DNS lookup is slow when it is overloaded.

You will also get to see how far behind your connection is compared with the rest of the country. When you install the component, data is collected from your machine 12 times (you can change the setting) a day and the server will add up all the data for the whole country.

There were times that had even stretched on for 2 weeks where my connection almost everyday was less than 10 Kbps. My dialup to Jaring actually moved faster. Fortunetely this happened less often now…touch wood 8-).

I’m just wondering if whenever we get speed less than 56kpbs all of us get a discount. There should at least be MINIMUM standard eventhough the contract says – “best effort to achieve speed of 512 Kbps” and we shouldn’t complaint because they had tried their level best. Something to think about and something that the license authority should insist on.

@chiong
    Wow, great analysis. I was using OpenDNS for a while until I notice it was becoming “over-protective” in certain sites. I like the idea of Streamyx setting a “minimum” speed or else they should compensate us. I am sure many others would like that too. However, I doubt they will ever do that. Good for us but not for them. I hope WiMAX isn’t the same BS like streamyx or else I would flip.

10. Young says:

Thanks for the great tips. Sometimes it work for me sometime not.

but since I have change my old telephone cable, the connections are stable most of the time.

11. AJ says:

Well, i normally get a needle n push it thru the ‘reset’ hole at the back of the modem. Turn the modem off for half-a-minute and proceed as usual. It works if you just wanna ‘wake-up’ the modem. If the DSL keeps blinking for weeks or months, better get the streamyx technician to do it. We are paying for the service too aite~

12. AlexSDU says:

I usually go straight for Step 3. Most of the time, it works.
    Only recently, like a month ago, the connection getting worse.
    Dunno whether it’s me (PC or modem) or the line itself that got some issues.

13. Pingback: My blog - lymeus.com

14. Tim says:

my internet connection also like crazy. Normally during the days. At night for now is ok. Anyone have any idea why connection is not good during the day?

15. John says:

Is telephone cable the same as road highways?

1. Roads during peak period will have traffic jams.

2. However, telephone cables are similar to TNB cables.

3. One electric cable from TNB is connected to a row of terrace houses.

4. Bear in mind the usage of electricity is 24 hours per day in every house. Peak usage is during the night with TVs, airconds etc. Do you experience low voltage? Power surge perhaps.

5. Is broadband usage 24 hours? Is every house using broadband?

16. this sucks says:

Hey guys a lil help here please if u can. I subscribed to the streamyx 1mb package and ever since the first day …… i have two connections in my network connection the (LAN) and the (broadband). ever since day 1 my broadband connection is disconnected and never is connected. when i try to connect it dials for a moment and then tells me that the remote server can not be found because the service name in the broadband connection prperties is invalid. i checked it but it was blank. i called the streamyx guys but they didnt help. can someone please check what the service name is on the prperties of their broadband connection and tell what it is..
    tnx in advanced

17. this sucks says:

and i forgot to tell u that even though the broadband connection is disconnected i can still surf the net but if i try to enter a website in europe or america it starts to redial and connect and fails

18. Jeremy says:

Streamyx 2mb

Ping test = 432 ms (KUALA LUMPUR)
    Speed test= 410 kbps +