I Accidentally Clicked On My Own Google AdSense

It happened two days back, just before noon. I was updating my blog and reading some other blogs at the same time when I noticed a very interesting AdSense advertisement. It was about Anwar Ibrahim, the next Prime Minister (at least that’s what the advertisement stated). So naturally, I was curious. I ended up clicking it.

I see nothing that interests me in the blog. There were a few videos in it but they didn’t generate enough curiosity for me to view it. I personally dislike politics. It’s like a 4 letter word to me, maybe worse. After all, it is 2 times a 4 letter word (“poli-tics”), isn’t it? Then I realized that the ad was actually from my own blog. I panicked.

Will I be banned by Google for my genuine mistake? Will I lose the 50 cent ad revenue that I’ve generated so far? OK OK, that’s not a lot I know. Haha. Anyway, I googled for more information on what to do next and this is what I did.

After I log into my Google account, I went to Google Support. There’s a list of category for things you can contact Google for. I look for a category that was about “invalid clicks“. In the subcategory, I chose something like “I accidentally clicked on my ads“. I fill up the details in the form. Wrote them a message telling that I ACCIDENTALLY clicked on my AdSense ad and that it was a genuine mistake from me and submitted the form.

(Notice that I sound a little uncertain of what I’m talking about here. That’s because on the time of writing, I can no longer reproduce these steps. Somehow Google removed the invalid clicks category, or I just couldn’t find it. So, there won’t be any screenshots for this post)

Just moments after submitting the form, I received a mail from Google AdSense Support team. This is part of what is in the mail:

Thanks for letting us know about the clicks on your ads. We appreciate
your honesty and your efforts to keep your account in good standing.
Although publishers are not permitted to click on their own ads for any
reason, we do understand that accidental clicks may occur, so we don’t
require that you contact us every time you click on your ads.

I guess you don’t have to inform them every single time you accidentally clicked on your own ads. However, I recommend you notify them at least once. It’s better to be safe than sorry.

For more information, check out these links:

13 thoughts on “I Accidentally Clicked On My Own Google AdSense

1. Bat says:

waaa..so honest..respect la.. :)

p/s: I don’t have any adsense account yet..since Google rejected my malay blog..how sad..

Well, ‘Honesty is the best policy’, isn’t it? Haha.

Well, you can always try out http://www.nuffnang.com.my. When I first heard about nuffnang, I wasn’t so sure if it was going to work. But after reading kennysia.com today, I realized even he has joined.

Wow! I’m sure nuffnang will get a boost in traffic this few days. I hope its server can hold. Haha.

3. Bat says:

about the nuffnang, I’ve joined that, and I also got one ads right now..Just curious about how much they will paid since I don’t anything about the ads pricing..

@mohdismail
    So it’s between Nuffnang and Advertlets. It’s very tough to judge for now. I guess you’ll have to wait for a month of two…and compare notes with others.

@Bat
    You can read the Blogger FAQ, Q2: How much do I earn?. I thought they provide a ‘panel’ that displays your earnings in real time? I have no idea.

5. Zul says:

Earlier own after signing up with adsense, i did the same mistake. I wrote to google saying that it was accidental clicks by my own. I did not hear back from them. Luckily my adsense account did not get black listed. Sigh…

6. Zul says:

As for advertlet/nuffnang, i did try advertlets. The result is very, very poor and same ads keep on appearing. Further, it is based on ppc rather than impression. So i decided to follow liewcf and sabahan; drop them.

@Zul
    Yeah. It’s still a mystery how Google identifies and treats accidental/fraud clicks. I guess at the end of the day, we’re at their mercy. As long as we’re clean on our end, we have done our part.

Nuffnang and Advertlets have grown quite a bit now but there are still a lot of room for improvements. I’m quite happy with my progress so far — not much but enough.

8. Hasbullah Pit says:

For me Both nuffnang and advertlets got more publisher than advertiser.

If i’m big corp, i’ll advertise at both of them.

take example of mibile phone, if anyone start advertising at nuffnang and advertslets, the competitor will follow

9. Pingback: AdSense Payment On Hold. Pin Mailer Required | TenthOfMarch.com